Thursday, November 4, 2010

The world's oldest person died...

BBC says that the world's oldest person, Eugenie Blanchard has died. She was 114. She was born in 1896 in france and was living as a nun, meaning she lived through 2 world wars, Oscar Wilde's last play, and many other historical events, which is simply astounding. An American woman now holds the title of eldest human, Eunice Sanborn of Texas, only 5 months younger than Blanchard. And as this article points out, she has lived through the Spanish-American War, the creation of Yosemite as a national park, the annexation of Hawaii, the Panama Canal, the hurricane of 1900 at Galveston, Prohibition, Henry Ford’s first car, World Wars I and II, the Great Mississippi Flood of 1927, the Great Depression, plastic wrap, TV dinners, Watson and Crick’s DNA double helix model, the Korean and Vietnam Wars, Elvis, the Beatles, the Shelby Mustang, mini-skirts, Watergate, the microwave oven, disco and the iPhone. Whew, that is almost unfathomable to me, thinking that if I lived to 114, it would be 2106, 30 years after the tricentennial,and, according to the Amish, there will be one giant megalopolis in place of states, permeated by, you guessed it, amish settlements. And I'll be 114 years old a daunting number, and something I, personally, wouldn't want.

3 comments:

  1. Interesting story and I liked how you tried to put in to perspective what all she lived through.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow that is old, I hope I live to be 114.

    ReplyDelete